Tuesday, April 14, 2009

White House Easter Egg Roll


Chuck, Charlotte and I had the opportunity to take part in a great White House tradition....the annual White House Easter Egg Role! The Egg Role has taken place on the White House lawn for over 100 years. For the event the First Family invites children and their families to the White House lawn for some Easter fun (including rolling an Easter egg down the White House lawn). It is extremely hard to get tickets to this event. I was lucky enough to be asked to work at the Egg Role this year. The nonprofit I work for, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, was asked to set up a booth to teach kids about the science of eggs. Through work I was able to get tickets for Chuck and Charlotte too.
It was really cool to be a part of this historic event....and very cool to be so close to the White House. The highlight was definitely seeing President Obama, Mrs. Obama and their girls. The First Family welcomed everyone and invited us all to "hang out and have fun!"
Charlotte had a great time watching all the kids, seeing the dressed up characters, and listening to the music. Chuck and I had a great time walking around the White House grounds and taking pictures. It was a great day that we'll always remember!


President Obama welcoming everyone!

First Lady Michelle Obama tells us all to "have fun!"
I arrived at the White House at 6:30am, way before the crowds at 9am.

Charlotte hanging out on the White House lawn!
Chuck and Charlotte....so close to the White House!
The family in front of the White House with the sign for my work's egg education booth behind us.

Charlotte meeting Winnie-the-Pooh....she "hugged" him, it was so cute!

Charlotte in the egg chair!
The theme of the 2009 Egg Role was "Let's Play", focusing on being active, exercising and eating right. They had basketball courts, soccer, and yoga. Here's Charlotte doing her best yoga move on the White House lawn!

1 comment:

lemonyem said...

Hello,
I realize this is a rather awkward way to attempt to reach you. My name is Emily and I am working with the Smithsonian on an exhibition called Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation. We are going to have a section on yoga in America and I couldn't help but notice your daughters adorable yoga pose on Easter Morning at the White House. I was wondering if you would be willing to discuss using this image in our exhibition? Please feel free to email me at Vallergae@si.edu. Sorry for the awkward attempt at reaching you.
Best,
Emily